Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Different Verb Suffixes

Today I really made an effort to study verbs...since I've been falling behind in them for quite a while now. All of this lead me to become very interested in Verb Suffixes

I found this chart:

Meaning/FunctionSuffixExampleTranslation
Suffixes that Follow Plain/Informal Forms
should-beki desutaberu- beki desu1 should eat.
probability-deshotaberu-deshoI'll probably eat.
possibility-kamo shiremasentaberu- kamo shiremasen1 might eat.
person-hitotaberu-hitothe person who eats
because-karataberu-karabecause 1 eat
noun-maker-kototaberu-kotothe act of eating
things-monotaberu-monothings to eat
time-tokitaberu-tokiwhen 1 eat
intention-tsumori desutaberu-tsumori desu1 plan to eat.
Suffixes that Follow Stem Forms
while-nagaratabe-nagarawhile eating
purpose-nitabe-niin order to eat
difficulty-nikuitabe-nikuiIt's hard to eat.
overdoing-sugirutabe-sugiru1 overeat.
desire-taitabe-tai1 want to eat.
Suffixes that Follow Te-forms
doing a favor-agerutabete-ageru1 eat for you.
present perfect-arutabete-aru1 have eaten.
present progressive-irutabete-iru1 am eating.
requesting-kudasaitabete-kudasaiPlease eat.
attempt-mirutabete-miruI'll try to eat.
completion-shimautabete-shimauI finish eating.

I want to ask sensei to look over the list also to make sure that it's correct...(no sense in studying wrong things right?)

The one thing I found really fascinating about the verb suffix's, is that you can make WHOLE SENTENCES with just a verb and its suffix! That makes things so much more convenient....if I only knew how to use the -miru form for attempting...in any case I just thought it would be good to share with you guys :D 

------------

Another thing I'm still in the process of trying to fully "figure out" is the word "mitai" as in "inu mitai" 

but that sentence can be taken as "like dogs" or couldn't it be taken "I want to see dogs?" Thats one thing that I"m not too sure on right now...probably best to go bug sensei..

*walks off* 

4 comments:

GTS said...

The chart seems to be correct! Noun-mitai will be visited in class! Noun-mitai means "look like Noun" ex. Baka-mitai=looks idiot! -GTS

said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
said...

To form full Onmyou balance add this one by tabe-nikui
-yasui easy to
tabe-yasui easy to eat

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is very helpful! I'm going to take this and keep it for the future even though I'm only in the first year classes.

Do you have any recommendations for supplementary reading and learning materials? Before I started class with GTS, I was teaching myself from the Genki books, but they were difficult to learn from by myself. I figure you three have had a chance to discover some stuff that could greatly benefit me in my long journey to learn Japanese! ^__^